Sunday, January 13, 2008

TPM, Hillary, Obama

A letter I sent to the TPM, re: "Dead Even":
"Dead Even - As you know we keep pretty close tabs on polls here at TPM. And I can report that in our informal reader-email-based poll of readers who think we should come clean with our covert support of Obama and readers who think we should come clear with our secret support of Hillary, the numbers are running at about 50%-50%"
I don't think you are biased to one candidate over the other (even if you add in another 50% for my man John Edwards). But I do think that your site needs to give the full muckraker treatment to Hillary and Obama for their public comments. Did Obama switch his view on the Iraq War like President Clinton claims? Did Obama describe himself as both MLK and JFK as Senator Clinton claims this morning?

Did Hillary say that LBJ deserves more credit for Civil Rights than MLK? Do vett that claim, I assume we need to see a timeline - what did she say about the issue at first and how did it get stated and restated as time went on?

You and your site are great reporters. You show how facts get swallowed up by media narratives. I think as a clearly Democratic Party website, you can help us out by giving that fact-focus on these claims.
Backpost finished 2009-12-17.

No comments: