Monday, July 24, 2006

Who is this Hertzberg Clown?

Good question, airless void. Naturally, I went to the online Oracle, and here's what the heilige Wiki says about my geriatric interlocutor:

The son of Sidney Hertzberg, a Jewish journalist and political activist, and Hazel Whitman Hertzberg, a Protestant professor of history and education at Columbia University, .... In 1977 he joined the White House speechwriting staff and was Carter’s chief speechwriter for the final two years of his term.

This explains it; Hertzberg is the product of an intermarriage and was the spokesman of the worst years of the worst Democratic goofball since William Jennigs Bryan attacked Darwinism in Tennessee.

No wonder he hates Lieberman and makes Joe's religious belief the point of attack - and no wonder I instinctively reacted to Hendrik's venom.

However, as my worried father asked me after I read him my exchange, "do you think they'll ever publish you in the Newyorker?" Well, considering that Hertzberg was also responsible for the worst years of the Newyorker [as the Wiki states: "In 1992, when Tina Brown became editor of The New Yorker, she recruited Hertzberg as her executive editor, and he helped her redesign and revitalize the magazine"] I may be considered a hero.

Suuure.

No comments: