Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Princeton Pit-Stop


Monday we drove back from Maryland (where we spent Pesach - one of the benefits of stepping down from a pulpit, even if it did come from a brace of oompa-loompas) to Connecticut and were able to take a lunch stop in Princeton.

I hadn't been back in almost 10 years and there's been many changes to campus (a new college, for example). Alas, it was raining very hard and with two small youngin's to care for, all we were able to do is run to the CJL to get in under the 1:15 pm lunch-bell cut off.

The CJL is just the same as I remember it (even though many more rooms have been taken over by Hillel... which is what I expected 15 years ago when I first fought the Yavneh-Hillel War. Yavneh still has the same slanted-roof attic hovel that we appropriated back in '93, but Hillel has every other available room). It is nice to see that the kitchen is under the hashgacha of the O-U with it's own mashgiach. Good show. Next stop: eruv.

My kids enjoyed the lunch (which, being the day after Pesach, was the best they could probably manage). My youngest ran around like the smiley-faced crazy man that he is, entertaining the kitchen staff. It was also nice to see Joy again (she retires in 3 years) and even ol' Oscar is still around.

While I was "moose-herding" (running after my kids), I picked up a Daily Princetonian and was glad to see that the stable, staid ol' alma mater is keeping it's stodgy reputation with this story (which I am not making up): "Freshman charged with kidnapping, aggravated assault."

Ah, those college kids.

No comments: