Monday, October 07, 2013

The Nightnmare World of Scalia

If there's any one person whose presence is dooming the world more than anyone else, it's Antonin Scalia, the caveman who has been occupying a seat on the US Supreme Court for decades.  He is, quite frankly, a menace to us all.  More than George W. Bush, more than Dick Cheney, because Scalia can't be removed from office and his views of the world have given the necessary legitimacy to the rest of the GOP.  They have been able to destroy our nation - and by extension the world - because of the Supreme Court, and especially the linchpin, Scalia.

I was alerted to a recent interview  with Scalia in New York Magazine, and this tidbit was highlighted as an example of where the Most Powerful Man in the World gets his information:
What’s your media diet? Where do you get your news?
Well, we get newspapers in the morning.
“We” meaning the justices?
No! Maureen and I.
Oh, you and your wife …
I usually skim them. We just get The Wall Street Journal and the Washington
Times. We used to get the Washington Post, but it just … went too far for me. I
couldn’t handle it anymore.
What tipped you over the edge?
It was the treatment of almost any conservative issue. It was slanted and often
nasty. And, you know, why should I get upset every morning? I don’t think I’m the
only one. I think they lost subscriptions partly because they became so shrilly,
shrilly liberal.
So no New York Times, either?
No New York Times, no Post.
And do you look at anything online?
I get most of my news, probably, driving back and forth to work, on the radio.

and lest you think he means NPR, the journalist did his job

Not NPR?Sometimes NPR. But not usually.
Talk guys?
Talk guys, usually.
Do you have a favorite?
You know who my favorite is? My good friend Bill Bennett. He’s off the air by the
time I’m driving in, but I listen to him sometimes when I’m shaving. He has a
wonderful talk show. It’s very thoughtful. He has good callers. I think they keep off
stupid people.
So basically, he doesn't read normal newspapers, and another part of the interview he says he largely is off the internet.  His news comes from the Right Wing crazies.   God help us.

h/t Fallows.

No comments: