Monday, September 24, 2007

Is it Worth It?



Columbia President Bollinger, in his introduction, really lets Iranian President Aminabalajadalad have it. Bollinger just insults him to his face. And he claims that Iranian experts predict that by letting Aminalalaalahajad say ludicrous things in a public forum, Aminalahaghjdad actually loses power in Iran.

What a noble sacrifice by Bollinger. And he clinches his heroism by saying (and I'm paraphrasing until I can get a transcript)
"I'm only a Professor who is also a University President and today I feel all the weight of the modern civilized world yearning to express the revulsion at what you stand for, I only wish I could do better. Thank you [end of speech]."
Oh, poor Bolly. You took a bullet for all of us.

Again, even with his ability to mock Aminabalajdad to his face, to express his contempt for what he stands for, is it worth it to invite him to your University? To give a propaganda-spouting terrorist - probably the number one bad guy in the world right now - a platform?

I read some live-blogging transcripts of Aminahahdadlhad's statements and I just don't see the value. Someone needs to explain it to me.

h/t TPM.

No comments: