Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The Sandman

Long have I been interested in Neil Gaiman's Sandman. I can't say it is the best graphic novel ever made, that distinction goes to the yin/yang of the Dark Knight Returns and The Watchmen (the debate over which one is greater is unwinnable). Yet the Sandman transcends that all because it was commissioned by DC comics to be a standard piece of work and it just blew the doors off. It raised the level of graphic novels to the level of mid-range literature; there's more in there than in Dickens and Melville (although Gaiman would hate me saying that).

Anyhoo, I have wanted to acquire the books for some time now, and nobody sells them for under $20 in good condition. Three weeks ago, in a stroke of good luck, some dude was selling the collection of 10 books for under $10 each - and I was able to grab it before the first bid with a 'buy me now' (for those who frequent Ebay, this is a great thing... true, some ebay ghouls out there might advise waiting until the last moment and snipe some fool... but I am often that fool and auctions are for chumps).

For fellow fans:
(Pic link from here, found in 2009)

No comments: