Thursday, July 29, 2004

Aggravation Level Reaching Monthly Limit

Every person has a level of frustration and aggravation that has mechanical checks and filters placed on it to prevent brain hemorrhages, coronaries, and murders. People who have low threshold levels are often considered insane or Vice President. Moving houses can fill daily, weekly, and monthly levels quite quickly.

We have been here for two full weeks and I am proud, and scared, to say that my monthly level has been filled. The house has loads of difficulties that need time, money, and concentration. The baby, while still the cutest and most lovable human around, needs constant attention. I have been having a two week battle with Sears that has been destroying my arteries with stress.

The irony is that I lived in New York City for 8 years. Yet in two weeks in a sleepy Connecticut town I have had more stupid aggravation than I remember having in those previous 8 years.

One thing that stam New Haveners seem to love is not knowing where anything is and giving bad directions. When telling you how to get from point A to B, they will leave out a street or a compass point. I assume it's because people don't move in and out of New Haven that often. Sure, the Yale students do, but they have their own system.

An example: when moving houses and buying appliances, you find yourself with many empty cardboard boxes. In New Haven, to dispose cardboard boxes you need to cut them into 2'x4' strips, bind them together with twine, then stack the boxes no higher than 4". This would have been nice to know BEFORE we put 40 boxes (collapsed) out on the curb in the rain. The alternative is to shlep them to the dump.

Oh I could go on, but the vibrations from my idling blood pressure is starting to moiré my computer screen.

Update: My wife - who shlepped the boxes to the curb in the first place - just trooped out to the dump. I wish I could go but *somebody* had to watch the baby. Besides the dump stink, she tells me there were VULTURES roaming the sky. Cooool. Yay wife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My admiration for Ms. Styx knows no bounds.

- shanna (http://home.shanna.giora.gorfajn.com:443/blog/)